Skuldhellir
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forums for the Furcadia roleplaying guild.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello, Skuldhellir!

Go down 
+7
Lauren
Lares
Ulrin Lightbringer
Heimdall
Lazer
XinonHyena
Edward
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 1:31 pm

I did a lot of roleplaying by myself, too. :B It's fun. And that's what I meant by that point in the topic I wrote, Zaki--post to yourself and someone might come by and join you. JUST posting to yourself is fun, too, though.

A package'd be really nice. Right now there isn't much reason for it, but after we get going, it's certainly something to consider, especially if the town will be expanding, and if the mines will be explored further. The price won't be a big deal if people don't mind sparing a GD or two every month.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 9:49 pm

Ed and I (and other people too apparently) have agreed against the one-year gap between SH's opening and NK's closing. We think it'd be more fun to just have the keep-folk surge into SH and have to cut out their living in RP! It'll also just be easier to transition. This way, it isn't cut-and-dry who'll run the guilds... it'll all go down in RP.

I'm tired so I'mma just copypaste Ed-words (teehee Edwords=Edwards):

Serin's thinking about going for the fighter's guild head, but there's a lot of other characters that might make it really interesting if they somehow got up there first, you know?

Hat City strikes me as extremely organized. I imagine they have someone stationed in the wizard guild to keep an eye on things. But eventually if a magicperson rises up and shows potential for running it well, they can loosen their grip some and defer the position of guildmaster to them, but still hang around/visit every so often to make sure all goes well.

Orcs could have killed the leader of the fighter's guild, and his second-in-command was too cowardly to take his place, and skipped town. Power vacuum for someone to fill!
Back to top Go down
http://vorpalmuse.webs.com/furcadia.html
Sneeuw
Slightly Tipsy
Sneeuw

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 2:29 am

I like a lot of the ideas I'm hearing. The one about secrets and rumors, the one about the darkness thing, always being considered IC, and I agree about not having things take place a year later. RIGHT NAO is my preference, because I suppose I prefer to work things out in the present rather than leave things vague, and a year is a lot of time for things to go down, so there's inevitably going to be some vagueness.

You know, there is an alternative to getting a dream package, even if it's a less appealing one. We could always have a separate dream for all the extra stuff, and it could either be uploaded in the main dream, or there could be a link to it. Does anyone else like that idea?

I'd been thinking about it for Mirandol and Creoso, too. Maybe having portals to both places up in the Mages Guild. I also thought about a money system where you have to pay to use the portals, but I figured people wouldn't like that. Didn't we already discuss and dismiss a money system, anyway?

You know what? Discussing things for the dream is just too fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sneeuw-w.webs.com
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 7:01 am

Isn't it just, Snee? <3

I had a similar opinion about the year thing. The main thing that bothered me the most, though, was the weird Timeline this would induce in other continuities. Skuldhellir would be skipping ahead a year, but Mirandol, Creoso and other dreams wouldn't, of course, so it'd be like... what happened to that year of these characters' lives? It'd be like walking into Narnia, yo!

Y'know, if I remember right, Northkeep had a system like that--the whole two-dream thing--for member rooms, in the old dream. It could be possibly be okay if we ever wanted to add more plains/surroundings, like, once you walk far enough to the edge, you get a dreamlink to the second dream, and you're telepurted to the edge of the plains there, but I can't imagine why we'd want to do that. We'll see, though. It's definitely an alternative to keep in mind.

Yuh, we did discuss a money system. In the end it'd be too much work and consume too many lines of DS, and it wouldn't make much sense anyway since people could leave or keep at their jobs IC whenever they wanted more or less. It'd just be too easy to unbalance. As for the portals, people WILL have to pay, but since everyone is responsible for upholding the continuity, someone who randomly disappears for a while and then comes back all OLOLOL I PORTAL'D TO MIRANDOL when their character obviously lacks the funds for such a venture will be called out.

^On that note, Mirandol/Creoso portals in the Wizard's Guild is a damn gud idea and gives IC characters a bit more incentive to visit those places.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 am

I can easily do portals to 'em, fo' sho. 8)

And Snee, the dream linking thing is definitely doable, and if it comes to it, I can do it. However, there are incentives to the dream package other than just dream size--namely, LOCALSPECIES OM NOM NOM. Right now the two localspecies will be dwarfs (bearded and beardless), so humans will be stuck with being bugges or something!
Back to top Go down
Räven
Vulpes Vulpes
Räven

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 11:35 am

The one year skip! It would've been so nice for Zaki! :C Oh well, I'll just have to alter the story a bit. She probably wouldn't need one year to fall from being lazy and kinda working to criminal low life anyway.
Back to top Go down
Ulrin Lightbringer
Ropeman
Ulrin Lightbringer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Yeah, I'm all for the one year skip being tossed aside. It indeed made no sense at all. It gives all characters an equal start and limit the confuzzleness of one year of vague NPCing.
Back to top Go down
Sneeuw
Slightly Tipsy
Sneeuw

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Hooray! I love the idea of the portals. :3

I don't think I have any more questions or comments now, so *fades into the woodwork until more discussion goes on*.
Back to top Go down
Ulrin Lightbringer
Ropeman
Ulrin Lightbringer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Maybe the portals to our fellow guildies could be portals in the mage guild that are kept in a better position (more reliable and perhaps slightly cheaper?) than portals requested at whim of player.
I'd make sense for the mages to give more attention to possible trade/diplomatic relationships than to random rich people wanting to teleport to randomplace.
Back to top Go down
Sneeuw
Slightly Tipsy
Sneeuw

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Hm, I don't know... people may hold it to the Mages Guild to make sure ALL of their portals are reliable. After all, one that's even slightly unreliable has a chance of some pretty unwanted consequences, like being teleported to the center of the Bermuda Triangle instead. But cheaper makes sense to me.
Back to top Go down
Ulrin Lightbringer
Ropeman
Ulrin Lightbringer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Yes, but the portals are supposed to be unreliable (otherwise it'd just be abused). It's not like the mages would care, people would be warned when using them that they might blow up.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Yeah, we really need to keep portal-ing to a minimum. Even if the Mirandol/Creoso portals are kept in good condition, still only rich folks will be able to use them with any regularity. Maybe a more middle/lower-class person could save up for a one-time jump, but yeah. Portaling in and out of the dream would kill a lot of what we're going for. Most folks will arrive via ship!
Back to top Go down
Lares
Hrhr!

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 2:23 am

Just gonna drop, that I'm by a civilworker thing until friday, and I got a REALLY bad connection, so don't wonder when I'm a bit quiet now!
Back to top Go down
Sneeuw
Slightly Tipsy
Sneeuw

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Well, I'm all for limiting the portals, but unreliable ones just sound dangerous. I guess it's up to the person trying to purchase a portal ride if they want to risk accidental explosions or showing up in someone's latrine at precisely the worst possible moment.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 5:27 pm

I think, rather than having the risk of your character being exploded or transported somewhere that will kill them (bottom of the sea, volcano, etc.), the unreliability is more like... you go in to be teleported, pay for the expensive spell components and stuff, and the wizards press the magic button that makes you teleport. If it works, you do so. If it doesn't, there's a big explosion, a cloud of smoke, maybe you get covered in soot and your clothes are ruined, but you're fine. You just don't go anywhere. The spell components are lost so the wizards won't/can't refund you (well, maybe a little bit--but they'll tell you the risk before you go in, so yeah) so you're stuck in SH and you've just lost your money.
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 5:47 pm

I haven't been on this thread as much lately--sorry, guys! Here to say I really like Heimderp's idea, though.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 5:56 pm

That's no prollem, Edderp. I mean, we're really winding down the braingathering stage. There isn't much more to discuss. So now we let it all congeal into some delicious solid, slap it on a website, finish up the dream and stuff, and get arepeeing.
Back to top Go down
Sneeuw
Slightly Tipsy
Sneeuw

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Ah, okay. That sounds good. I just figured if it was dangerous people would be all up in the Mages Guild's grill over it.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Well, keep in mind that the wizards aren't dumb... they won't let people get all up on them. I assume that before anyone teleports (even now that it's generally safe), they agree to not sue the wizards for anything that comes about from said teleportation attempt, you know? XD
Back to top Go down
Sneeuw
Slightly Tipsy
Sneeuw

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:22 am

Ah, yeah. XD
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:35 am

Speaking of the dream being done, here are some screenshots.

Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 Skuldhellirrichtavern
"The White Door Inn"
A posh and luxurious tavern. They have a little coatroom with a guard inside to keep out the rabble.

Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 Skuldhellirpoortavern
"Porthole Pub"
Located right by the docks, it's often the first stop people make after arriving in Skuldhellir. It's where the local miners and middle-class folks unwind in the evening. There's lodging for travelers, too.

Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 Skuldhellirmineshaft
An unfinished mineshaft.

Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 Skuldhellirhospital
"___ Hospital"
Founded by the ___ religious group, the hospital treats people with injuries and illnesses. There is a small fee.

(The names are, of course, temporary if folks don't like 'em!)
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:14 am

It's fuckin' awesome so far, Kain! BUT YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT
Back to top Go down
Ulrin Lightbringer
Ropeman
Ulrin Lightbringer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:31 am

AWESOME. Yes, but that to be expected of our awesome Kainwi.
Can't wait to get RP'ing in it.
Back to top Go down
Sneeuw
Slightly Tipsy
Sneeuw

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Jeeze, my jaw nearly dropped. CAN I GO LIVE IN THE WHITE DOOR INN? I wish I was rich. >8C All of it looks gorgeous, not just the fancypants inn.
Back to top Go down
Räven
Vulpes Vulpes
Räven

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 8:30 pm

My goodness that looks mighty fine. Speaking of the hospital, I've been thinking about that religious group. I can write down a summary of my thoughts around all of that and post it for public molestation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello, Skuldhellir!
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next