Skuldhellir
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forums for the Furcadia roleplaying guild.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elessar

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Reb320
Stone Sober

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Elessar   Elessar EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 4:45 pm

General:

Alt Name: Elessar

A brief description of your character: A 1/4th elf preteen with black eyes and unkempt long blond hair. His ears a longer than the average human’s, but not super jumbo-dumbo long like a full Elf’s so he can keep them hidden under his hair.* His clothes are rags, his feet bare, and he’s lost from his old friend. Elessar could sure use a hug right about now.

Why/How is your character in Skuldhellir: His good friend and him escaped from a traveling slaver group, and has been separated from his best friend/brother type person.

*Before coming to Skuldhellir, he lost a riddle game with a Manticore and a good part of his ears were cut off.

Magic:
Max preps: 6

Lightning "spell": worth about 2-4 preps, depending how much he has stored in him and if it's reacting from fear/anger.

Strengths:

---Natural
Helpful/friendly
Optimistic in things he can do (ask him to read/do some math and he won't be so optimistic)
Master of the pout/pathetic look
Love of animals, even rodents

---Learned
Music: His good friend was teaching him how to play the flute, but he seems to be tone deaf. (and he doesn't even have his flute with him)

---Supernatural
Lightning/electricity: His body seems to store/produce electricity. He can control it somewhat, sending it across the ground in a straight line at a person, or even let it run across his body to zap someone touching him. Sometimes fear or anger can also cause his powers to act up on its own, so long as he didn't release it before hand. (Where it comes from: His father, who was some sort of demon. This brings his race to 1/2 demon, 1/4 elf, and 1/4 human.)

Weaknesses

--Frail and unhealthy: He’s pretty thin looking and could break a bone pretty easily it seems. This may have something to do with his-

--Restricted diet: Elessar is a vegetarian because he seems to almost be-

--"Allergic" to meat: of all things. He can’t eat the stuff, for it seems he may have a-

--Weak stomach: The sight/smell of blood or meat will make Elessar feel sick. If he has to eat meat he’ll throw up the contents of his stomach and then faint.

--Over charged: If he doesn’t let his electricity powers out they’ll keep growing in his body until it’s too much for him and lets it’s self out. This can be a rather shocking experience for people around him. To keep an over charge from happening, Elessar tires to release his powers into the ground often.

--Phobias
*Gynephobia: An abnormal, irrational and persistent fear of women. "Sufferers experience anxiety even though they realize they face no threat. Gynephobia is usually caused by an intense negative experience from your past. But your mind can also create that fear seemingly without basis."
Reason: Countless times, his best friend was abused by either a female master or a female under the master's roof. Elessar could only watch helplessly as his "brother" returned with a new scratch or bruise. A connection between injuries and women was formed.
*Hematophobia: Hematophobia: An abnormal and persistent fear of blood. "Sufferers of this very common phobia dread the sight of their own blood, the sight of the blood of another person or an animal, and sometimes printed or filmed images of blood or even thoughts of blood."
Reason: See "Weak stomach" above
*Odynophobia: An exaggerated or irrational fear of pain.
Reason: Can't a kid not like to be hurt?

--Illiterate: Yup, can’t read, can’t do math, though he can count a little.

--Highly dependent on others: He really can’t take care of himself at all yet and clings to people a lot. Somewhat lost without his older friend.

--Gender confused appearance: His hair is much too long and has become matted from lack of grooming, giving him an easily mistakable girlish look. This worked while looking for sympathy

--Wanted by law: By the “law” meaning slavers, for he is an escaped slave.

--Tone deaf: He loves music, but can’t carry a tune to save his life.

--Heights/falling: He won’t mind being on the top floor of a tall building, but out in the open is a whole other story.

--Manticore Debt: He owes the local flesh eating monster x1 hand.

Last edited by Reb320 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Could you use our magic system for his electricity? :) Just tell me what the max number of preps he can cast is (from 1 to 10) and then how skilled he is at using electricity (from 1 to 5). To learn more about magic, head here: http://skuldhellir.webs.com/magic.htm
Back to top Go down
http://vorpalmuse.webs.com/furcadia.html
Reb320
Stone Sober

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Um, well, I don't mean to argue, but I don't mean for his electricity to be magic in the sense that he would have to cast a spell to use it..

It could be called more a race feature than magic. His body just collects/generates it and he's learned to control it.

I'm not saying that it can't be magic. Maybe Elessar didn't know he had magic and just figured that he could make lighting and stuff.
That wouldn't explain his "over charge", since I'm guessing even a beginner at magic would be able to stop uses it. Or that it may be harder to subconsciously make magic happen rather than be unable to stop it.

((Or, how would saying he's part pikachu work? I jest.))

If not, I'll get to work trying to understand this magic system and edit it asap.
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 5:42 pm

It doesn't have to be magic for the magic system to be applicable to it! I assume you're going to use preps for his electricity power, and all the magic system really does is help define your character's limitations in terms of preps.

So, again, please tell us--what's the maximum amount of electrical buildup he can use at a Time? Score it from 1-10--that'll be his max preps.

Then, how skilled is he at controlling his electricity? Score that from 1-5. That'll be the highest number of preps he can use the skill at without possibly facing a backfire.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
The Fanciful Cerberus
Liquor Taster

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 5:44 pm

Don't know if I'm supposed to post before the number buuut...

I was rping with this character before over IM, and I wouldn't really call the ability spellcasting. For example, Kaimau had him lifted into the air for a short time. Being afraid of heights, he freaked and electricity started to run along his body, almost causing Kaimau to drop him to his death. In fact, he had to get to the ground to release some of it. It didn't seem like something that required preps. Actually, it seemed like a dangerous power that took more effort to hold in than to use. Just my two cents.

Edit: Also, people are evil for posting while I'm writing a post. :o
Back to top Go down
Reb320
Stone Sober

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 6:10 pm

Alright, I've edited it. Things in red are my edits.

I hope it's acceptable now and sorry for the trouble.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 6:30 pm

As Ed said, it's for any spell-like ability unless it's totally bonkers, just so we can gauge its power. :) That's fine!

STRENGTHS
-Magic: 6 + 1 = 7
-Helpful/friendly: 0
-Optimistic: 1
-Girly looking: 0 (I would even consider this a weakness in SH)
-Master of the pout/pathetic look: 1
-Love of animals, even rodents: 0
-Music: 0

WEAKNESSES
--Frail and unhealthy: 4
--Restricted diet: 2
--"Allergic" to meat: 1
--Weak stomach: 2
--Over charged: 2
--Phobia: 3
--Illiterate: 1
--Highly dependent on others: 3
--Wanted by law: 1
--Tone deaf: 0
--Heights/falling: 1
--Manticore Debt: 1

TOTALS:
9 vs. 21

Definitely fine by me :P
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 6:56 pm

I guess this character is technically balanced, but I don't feel so inclined to accept it just yet.

It isn't anything personal, of course, and I don't typically like to outright decline people, but I have given this some thought, and I really don't know if this character is suited to the continuity. With some tweaks, perhaps, he might fit in, but not as he is now.

For one, I don't see any explanation about where exactly his electricty comes from--while we are a high fantasy continuity and not everything can be narrowed down to and explained away with science, you don't elaborate on this at all. Why does he generate electricity? Where does it come from? Is it racial? Is it something he's always had? Is it acquired? Nothing else about him seems out of the ordinary, so he's basically just a regular elf who can, for no clear reason, generate electricity, which doesn't make much sense to me at all.

Second, the... 'phobia of women'. What? Really? Why?

(I also do hope that you realize that a hugely dependent preteen isn't going to last very long in Skuldhellir unless he's taken in.)
Back to top Go down
Reb320
Stone Sober

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 7:37 pm

*nods* alright, I understand.

I'm working on editing to expand on his phobias, and I just need to grab my friend who owns his father's character (who he gets the electricity power from) to explain it to me again.

(And yes, I do realize that he isn't going to last long unless he's taken in. The Fanciful Cerberus already pointed that out to me. ^_^)
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 8:07 pm

Alright, thank you!
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 8:31 am

Quote :
(I also do hope that you realize that a hugely dependent preteen isn't going to last very long in Skuldhellir unless he's taken in.)

The people of the town might even deny him shelter at the inns and stuff, being an elf. The locals have a deep racism against elves.
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Quote :
Countless times, his best friend was abused by either a female master or a female under the master's roof. Elessar could only watch helplessly as his "brother" returned with a new scratch or bruise. A connection between injuries and women was formed.

In real life, even people who have been raped don't usually form a fear of the entire opposite gender. Even if Elessar and his 'brother's abusive masters were, without exception, entirely female, this reason doesn't satisfy me, I'm afraid!

Also, I see you added the explanation for his electricity--he's half a demon. Well, er, okay... but somehow his 1/4th elf blood is more prominent, he can't stomach meat, and the only manifestation of his demonic heritage is the strange, physically generated electricity he's capable of. I don't intend to sound nitpicky, but I know if I'm satisfied with this, either.

You sure this is the character you want to use in Skuldhellir, chap? ;P While this guy would be very good in persona play or even plenty of the other dreams in the Imaginarium, I dunno how well he'd fit into the continuity here. Even small logical hiccups can result in some excessively weird and hard-to-handle IC complications. To boot, poor Elessar doesn't seem very sturdy, and he's very prominently an elf, two drawbacks that're hard to survive with in town.
Back to top Go down
Reb320
Stone Sober

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 1:48 pm

I've been thinking about if I really want to use him in Skuldhellir, and I've come to the conclusion that he probably isn't the best character of mine to plop down into this dream.

I'm sorry to have wasted everyone's time with this character application. ^_^
*goes to look for a way to delete this account.*
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 1:50 pm

It's perfectly alright! We invest our Time in applications of our own accord, so you needn't feel like you must apologize.

If you decide to bring another character in, we'd be more than glad to look at it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elessar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elessar   Elessar Empty

Back to top Go down

Elessar
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skuldhellir :: Characters :: Applications :: Finished Applications-
Jump to: