The forums for the Furcadia roleplaying guild.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tweaking the jackal wizard.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
XinonHyena
Bardman

PostSubject: Tweaking the jackal wizard.   Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:32 am

I've recently come to fear that Anukha was in fact not so well balanced at all. After reading about the system we were going to use for application I've tried to make her skill and ability list accordingly. And still I don't know if it's balanced enough, here's what I gots so far.
I tried adding points where I was sure they were needed.

Strengths

Physical
Dexterous (this is due to her ferret, without the familiar she isn't particulary dexterous)
Slightly agile (familiar)
Slightly good at climbing (familiar)

Personality
Pride
Honest
Reliable
Fierce
Stubborn

Supernatural
Familiar (gives her additional powers. She can look through the eyes of her familiar)
Enchanting 3/5 (her enchanting is somewhat avarage, she's not even near to mastery.)

Magic
Fire 5
Earth 4
Basic magic 1

Knowledge
History 2/5 (she knows quite some history... but nothing about Skuldhellir yet)
Archeology 4/5 (it was her main income for a long time, and she might often do small trips to ruins when catching wind of them, with or without others from the guild.)
Intelligent

Others
Can stand heat 2/5 (she was born in a desert land, used to hot temperatures)

Weaknesses

Physical
Physically weak
Frail
No weapon skills
Size, Anukha is exactly 4 feet and 3 inch tall (1m 30) roughly like a dwarf (although she doesn't have the broadness dwarves have)

Personality
Stubborn (she's often too stubborn for her own good)
Tempramental (once she loses it it'll be lost for a while)
Pride (She'll have a hard time doing embarassing things, even when they are needed)
Honest (she would feel really bad to lie to someone, and would probably be very seethrough)
Bound by law (Anukha generally follows the law the best she can.)

Supernatural
Familiar (her bond with her ferret comes with a bond of pain. Every pain her ferret feels she will feel just as bad.)

Other
Can't swim well. (there was never really a need for her to swim back in the desert, she never learned it)
Is very susceptible to draughts, two ordinary pints and she's gone. This also stretches to poison and some potion effects.

Last edited by XinonHyena on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edward
Wizamaturr

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking the jackal wizard.   Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:58 am

Glad you took the Time to whip something like this up! We need to test our balancing process.

To start, applicants don't put numbers down EXCEPT for on magic, since it's such a huge variable that it's impossible to judge just from lookin' at it. You'll be held to those numbers, too, so this takes some careful deliberation.

Everything else, though, you just list down like we used to do at Northkeep, and a mediator or other member who's allowed to accept new characters will come along, look at your strengths/weaknesses, and judge them depending on how big of an impact they can potentially have on your character/other characters/the continuity.

So, looking at this and disregarding the numbers, I'd loosely rate Anukha thus:

STRENGTHS

1. Dexterous: This is a pretty minor strength, so I'd place it at 1.
2. Agility's also fairly minor since it's described as 'slight'; this can also be a 1, or even a 0. I've grouped climbing under dexterity.
3. Skipping over personality and looking at the familiar, I'd give that a 4.
4. Enchanting seems about right; 3 would be average skill.
5. Magic's a 20.
6. Her knowledge of history'd be at about 1, since it isn't usually very largely impacting.
7. Archaeology at 4 sounds aboot right, since this is a mine!
8. Intelligence is another basic/untrained skill I'd put at 1.
9. Heatskills are awesome but not TOO pertinent in Skuldhellir--the weather's quite cool. I'd put this at a 1.
10. Coming back to personality, altogether none of those were listed as particularly exceptional, so I won't score it.

Total: 36

WEAKNESSES

1. Physical weakness is a big deal in a town full of burly dorfs, fighters, mining convicts and natural hazards! I'd put this at 4.
2. Frailty means, I take it, that she isn't very good at dealing blows or enduring sickness. I'd put this at a 4, too.
3. Personality has a few interesting weaknesses. I'd put her fail at lying at around a 2, and the fact that she's bound by law at maybe 3.
4. The supernatural bit is pretty major. I'd put that at a 5.
5. Swimming isn't a big deal in Skuldhellir but it's handy to have. Being unable to do it is a mild weakness of about 3.

Total: 21

It's the magic that really offset the difference; if it weren't for the system of adding another 10 points for using all 10 on schools, Anukha's strengths and weaknesses would have only a 5 point difference, which could be roughly considered balanced.

I don't know if the magic system should be kept this way, or tweaked. I'll try working this out on Edward and see how he scores.

Edward
Wizamaturr

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking the jackal wizard.   Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:13 am

Tallied Ed this way and ended up getting 37 vs 25. (I did give a lot of his weaknesses a 0 score, though.) I think, then, that we need to tweak our method of scoring magic. Perhaps 1 point per school taken would make more sense!

Doing that instead, Anukha's strength score would instead be:

16 + 10 from magic + 1 for basic magic + 1 for earth magic + 1 for fire magic = 29, which is MUCH closer to 21. I think we'll be trying to keep the strength and weakness scores between 5 points of eachother, so she's a wee bit unbalanced, but it isn't that big of a deal.

XinonHyena
Bardman

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking the jackal wizard.   Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:15 am

Alright. In the meantime I'll brainstorm about other weaknesses she could have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XinonHyena
Bardman

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking the jackal wizard.   Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:39 am

Added two ones that still came to mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edward
Wizamaturr

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking the jackal wizard.   Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:47 am

No weapon skills isn't really a weakness, just a lack of certain strengths. I'd say the shortness does a good job of shaving off those extra strength points, though! 8)

Draught weakness is gud too. YUP A++

Thanks for helping test this out!

XinonHyena
Bardman

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking the jackal wizard.   Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:00 pm

No problem, I thank you too. She does feel more balanced now.
That small jackalwiz who can't hold her ale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking the jackal wizard.   

Back to top Go down

Tweaking the jackal wizard.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1