Skuldhellir
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forums for the Furcadia roleplaying guild.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello, Skuldhellir!

Go down 
+7
Lauren
Lares
Ulrin Lightbringer
Heimdall
Lazer
XinonHyena
Edward
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lazer
cheap on friday
cheap on friday
Lazer

Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Nah, this is stuff people should learn through arpee. Unless someone makes a dorf then it's like, casually remind them that they are leery towards Hats and vice versa.

Also, the Dwarven and Elvish tension thing is kind of a funny predjudice that finds its roots back to LotR, and not for reasons people usually assume. Basically the Dwarved were hired by an old Elvish king to smith the shit out of these three awesome jewels, the Dwarves went mad because they were too awesome, killed the king and swiped 'em, so they're just been pissed at each other ever since.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Nauglam%C3%ADr

So while it is an interesting dynamic, it is solidly rooted in Tolkien lore!
Back to top Go down
Equinox
Stone Sober

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Okay, so I was thinking of a swell improvement for the dream. An NPC character by the name of Yksua, squirrel, and secretly an assassin who works the bar! 8D?
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 7:15 pm

Since all the NPCs in the dream will say something, whether it's dynamic or not, I plan on having the dwarfs all be racist against elves. That's the main prejudice I'm thinking of. So when people bump NPCs and see what they say, they'll get the kist of the racism thing. I think dwarves, humans, and furres will be the most common races, and regarded as normal, unless there's something odd about them. And yeah, a healthy skepticism for magic would be good.

But all that sort of info will be passed on through RP and NPC text!
Back to top Go down
http://vorpalmuse.webs.com/furcadia.html
Räven
Vulpes Vulpes
Räven

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Furthermore, Yksua sounds very much like yxa. Which is axe in swedish.
Back to top Go down
Lauren
Fuzzbutt
Lauren

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 11:39 pm

QUESTION TIME:

How do guns work in the cont? What's allowed, what's not allowed, how do we deal with 'em OoCly so that they aren't abused OoCly, etc. etc.?
Back to top Go down
Lazer
cheap on friday
cheap on friday
Lazer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 1:29 am

I wouldn't mind one-shot old school stuff that the dorfs engineered. They'd work more or less the same as a bow, cept more hurty and less likely to ever hit something that isn't stupid close and motionless.
Back to top Go down
XinonHyena
Bardman
XinonHyena

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 1:41 am

Oh yes, flintlock <3
But perhaps they'd also be hard to get. I can imagine that the dwarves wouldn't just flaunt around and sell everyone their special weapons, it could make for a small personal plot in itself.
Back to top Go down
Räven
Vulpes Vulpes
Räven

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 5:37 am

What else are duelists going to use!? Huh!? GUNS OF COURSE. Ten steps, then turn around and FIRE! Of course we need to have one of those creepy coffin maker guys to measure them both before the duel. He needs to be tall, gangly and wear a black suit and top hat all the time. But anyway. Yes, some kind of crude weapon would be nice and it would also possibly open up for explosives which miners can use. With much fear for their lifes. Or is it lives...

I was also thinking it would be cool if highly ranked members of the guilds could have access to better than average somethingsomething. Like, a highly ranked wizurd in the mage guild will have access to more rare items or possibly some catalyst that makes them able to cast spells with less chance of failure. Fighter's guild might give you access to awesome weaponry made of win and so on and so forth. And naturally, anyone who is in posession of such an item without being a member will be hunted down and relieved of said item. Makes you wanna strive for something if you join a guild and opens up interesting opportunities for the criminals.

Also, legends and myths! Old stories used to scare children that no one believes in but that might turn out to hold some truth. Perhaps a story writan competishan can be arranged and the top three stories can be incorporated as local legends?
"Careful son, you steal them cookies and the finklesmasher will crush your fingers in your sleep!"
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 6:07 am

Yeah, guns and derp would probably be very expensive, and their use would likely be restricted since they'd be as likely to blow up from the wrong end as they were to fire out the right one. You'd be better off with a crossbow when it came to accuracy, and when talking pure firepower, a Wand of Fireball'd probably serve your purposes far better, if you could ever get your paws on one.

On that note, the miners, I'm fairly sure, DO use some type of explosive. How strong or potentially dangerous it is is uncertain, but yeah, they're definitely not mining through there by hand alone, particularly not when there's a guild of mages sitting right there in their town. (The mages have to do SOMETHING for the miners in return for being able to research the ore, right? Assuming the miners aren't glad to have that weird and potentially dangerous shit taken off their hands, anyway.)

Again, Lauren, we'll be sticking primarily to a medieval-fantasy continuity, so most things that weren't allowed in Northkeep won't be allowed here, either. If one comes up in roleplay, it'll have to be changed to something else, or retconned entirely. It's up to the members to know their continuity well and make sure they don't accidentally (or not) break it with potentially outlandish anachronisms. If they don't do that, though, a mediator will have to step in and shuffle around retcons and adjustments until everything makes sense again, and if the member causes this enough they might get the boot for a while.

I like the idea of the creepy coffin maker, Zaki! No suit and top hat, though. That wouldn't quite be appropriate to the setting. He can totally have a curly black moustache, though, and look like a cadaver. 8)

The idea of speshul thingummies being available to guild members of a certain rank is a good one, but the available items likely won't be very powerful. There'll definitely be some perks for high-ranking members, though. Maybe it'll be special services, or reduced fees for using them.

I like the idea of a story contest! Legends do bring a place to life and having a few everyone who's been in Skuldhellir a while knows is not a bad idea. They'd be so dorfy, too, yesss.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 10:44 am

I'm fine with dorf-engineered flintlocks, but we need some kinda diceyness to even them out. After all, people can NOT dodge bullets--that would screw over realisticness. If someone's pointing a gun at you it's serious business... even if it has a 1 in 3 chance of sputtering out or exploding or something.

Maybe you need one prep to load and prepare to fire, then you roll the dice to see if you fail or not, then your next post is either firing the gun or RPing it exploding/sputtering out/etc. Maybe if it fails, you roll a second die and there's a 90% chance it just doesn't fire, and a 5% chance it makes a small boom that doesn't completely destroy the gun or hurt the user, and a 5% chance it makes a LARGE boom that destroys the gun and injures the user's arm?

As for legends... that's pretty cool too, but keep in mind that the town hasn't been there that long--like 10 years. (We should come up with a founding day and celebrate it. 8) It could be the day we make the dream public!) So there isn't a lot of time for people to make and have kids, and then make stories and pass them down to the kids. There could be some superstitious stories, but not too many. Like, erm, I'm not sure if I'm being clear or not... superstitions require time to cultivate and be absorbed into the culture, you know? Though there definitely can be a story or two... maybe even ones with some hints of truth. :3 :3 :3 "I saw Jenkins McDorfson go down one of the depleted mine shafts to look for gold. I followed him and tried to make him stop. Next thing I knew, the very rock beneath him opened like a mouth and swallowed him whole!!!"

As for people at the tops of the guilds... for miners and wizards, they'd have access to the more tempermental explosives and regiments. That just makes sense--apprentices aren't allowed to try and blow out new mine shafts or tamper with the dangerous spells and so forth. And only well-established folks in the guild would be privy to more sensitive information about stuff.

Hmm... how should we regard ranks? The different guilds would have different ones, of course. And since the guilds aren't primarily training young folks, using the apprentice/journeyman/master system doesn't work so well. I personally think there should be some interplay between skill and seniority, but I'm not sure exactly. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Räven
Vulpes Vulpes
Räven

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 3:58 pm

How about we consider them like... universities? Except they don't teach stuff. But if you have ambition and educate/train yourself your efforts will be noticed. The new or improved knowledge you bring to your guild will result in a more awesome office with your own private coffe machine.
Back to top Go down
Lazer
cheap on friday
cheap on friday
Lazer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 9:59 pm

I personally think it should be up to the respective guild leaders (unless they're an NPC)!
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Dan, that WOULD make sense, except the positions/etc would have been decided when the guilds were FIRST established, not now. Y'dig? So I think we should come up with something, and if the PC guild leader wants to change it, then so be it.
Back to top Go down
Räven
Vulpes Vulpes
Räven

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 6:09 am

Dark and horrible secrets. Information that would topple kingdoms. Pictures of the mayor and that mystery lady that isn't his wife!
What's all this? Well, isn't it possible that some people will sit on this kind of stuff? Perhaps not this extreme but it would be interesting if a few people were supplied with some sort of information no one else has, alternately has been in some incident that puts them in an awkward position with the mages, dorfs and or elves. Something they're not prone to talk about because said factions would leave a horsehead in their bed in the best case.
So basically, a sort of platform to RP from for your character that in someway is connected to the dream. It won't have an epic effect on anything but has the potential to be the talk for a while if handled nicely. Perhaps you know that the hardy dorf Mr. Ironbeard prefers milk instead of mead. Will you press him for favours in exchange for not telling his friends or will you accidentally let it slip during a rowdy evening just to see what happens?
Of course, it's only fun if no one else knows about it... which makes it kinda difficult to prepare. Maybe you get a secret when your application is accepted and mediators take turns to think of fun stuffs so that no one knows everything.

Hmm.... Ranting. Oh! Something that would give a slight edge to it all would be if players are willing to make up or share some secret about their character that can be shared with one... person. As I'm typing though I realize that is probably best handled between said players.

Anyway, just putting it out there. Rethink it, remake it or kill it with fire!
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 9:41 am

I like that a lot, Raven. Like, I really do. As I was reading I was like "this is cool, but how would it work?" until I got to the end. That seems like it'd be really cool. However, I don't think there's any way to enforce it--and if we tried to, I think we'd make a lot of folks mad. So it'd be opt-in. Maybe you don't even have to do it when you join, but, like, if you think up a good secret about your character, you can whisper someone who knows your character in some way (since they won't care about the secret if they don't know anything about your char) and say "Hey, your character heard a discussion in the town square today about my character possibly practicing illegal summonings in her basement!" or "You get an anonymous tipoff that my character is sleeping with your character's wife."

Of course... what's even MORE fun... is when you're lying. :3 That's right! If we do it your way, it's exciting, but we as players all know that the secret is true! We won't abuse that information cuz we're all awesome, BUT it'd be more fun if we DIDN'T know. So occasionally we can whisper each other with FAKE secrets as well as TRUE ones, so we never really know which is which.

That, Raven, is fantastic. But not something to be enforced--we can have a little optional page about it if anyone wants to participate. I think it's also a fantastic way of potentially getting plots started by sharing information... true or otherwise.

Now to shift gears, I had some ponderings about rules.

a) Will the rules basically be the same as in NK? (No dumb names, no causing drama, no breaking continuity, etc?)
b) Will AFKing be allowed in the dream? I can add an AFK room that people are teleported to after a while of being AFK, and if you try and move or talk in it, you get transported out to the town square. So it wouldn't be used for OOCing.
c) I think an OOC room is bad news. If we're going to be gathered together, it should be for RP, and maybe OOC silliness over SHOUTS.
d) I emphasize--OOC should be kept to shouts. Not even brackets, unless it's just a quick note for clarification or something like [brb] and whatnot.
e) Our preferences on post length and style can be mentioned briefly on the rules page, with a link to Ed's post about it--or put on another page.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 9:48 am

Also I had a cool idea for using DS buttons in the mines to create a darkness effect--not the normal overall checkerboard-style darkness patch, but rather there's a flickering circle of light in the center of the screen as if you had a lantern, and the edges of the screen were dark. Anyone like that? I may attempt it either way.
Back to top Go down
Ulrin Lightbringer
Ropeman
Ulrin Lightbringer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 am

You go Kainwi! That sounds awesome, honestly o:
Back to top Go down
Räven
Vulpes Vulpes
Räven

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 10:42 am

Why didn't I think about giving people fake information!? :C Also, I like the idea of darkness though some sort of something to help guide players is probably a good idea. Spending ten minutes bumping around isn't fun. Rules... Just, yeah. Makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 10:56 am

It wouldn't be so small that you couldn't navigate. It'd be mostly just for some ambiance!
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 11:06 am

That's a marvelous idea, Zaki! We tried something like this in Northkeep with the whole Rumors bit of the character sheets, but the way you two've put it seems like it will work far better and be much more awesome. I love little things like this. They really encourage interaction.

Also, Kain, that darkness idea is bloody damn awesome. I can't wait to see how you do it!

As for the rules, yeah, I think most of them will be the same--the no cont breaking ones, anyway, and the niceness. Niceness is especially important in no consent continuities.

The afk issue is one I've been thinking over, actually. In Northkeep, we had way too many people--myself included--sitting around doing nothing, sometimes in more private areas but USUALLY in places as public as the Den. I reaaaally don't like that, and so I think there should be an afk Timer everywhere in the dream except, maybe, in inn rooms. In general, I think it'd be cool if walk-up RP became a norm and anyone present in a public area in the dream was typically considered IC unless they had an [OOC] desctag in their description.

Where will the members OOC, though? Banning it entirely is a lousy move, and people would find places to pile together and chat it up anyway, be it over shouts or outside the dream. I've given this some serious thinking, though, and while I'm still a bit iffy about OOC rooms in general, I think we can get away with at least trying one. My main concern with Northkeep's had been the declining roleplay, and the fact that people were preferring to OOC than go IC. This was a situation rather unique to Northkeep--most folk had already done everything ever that there was to DO there, and roleplay itself simply wasn't quite as interesting. In the end, though, our heavy discouraging of OOC only slowed the decline, and didn't fully stop it.

Here, hopefully, roleplay will always be interesting, there will always be things to do, and I think folks will find themselves preferring to be IC as much as possible--especially with the short posts, the ease of action and the lack of absurd, hugepost expectations from other players, like we kinda had in NK. With this in mind, I don't think having an OOC room will damage roleplay much at all. The only danger I can think of is the exchanging of IC information other players shouldn't have. Even if they play fair and don't transfer the knowledge to their character, it can dull the experience a bit. We'll see, though!

That said, a smaller room for live mediator discussion would be nice, too.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 11:11 am

I can throw in a mediator room for sure. And yeah, I meant that all OOC should be carried out through shouts--I don't care if people do it or not. But I think it's stressful to walk into a place like the den and get bombarded with OOC. I personally hate that in dreams. >_<

And I suppose I'll put in an OOC room, or combine the OOC and AFK rooms. We can see how it goes...

Quote :
I think there should be an afk Timer everywhere in the dream except, maybe, in inn rooms. In general, I think it'd be cool if walk-up RP became a norm and anyone present in a public area in the dream was typically considered IC unless they had an [OOC] desctag in their description.

I'd rather make the timer everywhere. People won't get their own rooms in this dream, and if they want to do some RP in a room setting, they can use the inn rooms... so I don't want them full of AFKers, you know? But I do really hope that people always consider each other IC! That'd be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Räven
Vulpes Vulpes
Räven

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 11:42 am

About that 'post on your own and people will catch on'-thing... I'd say you don't even have to do it to start an RP. I have, even though it's been pretty rare, RPed on my own. Sometimes short things, sometimes longer events, sometimes with two of my alts. It gets your mind going and you discover interesting things about your character. I also RPed Zaki saying goodbye to NK all alone (with Ausky but yeah). It was quite emotional for me and it really made an impact on my view of Zaki and resulted in many interesting ideas. TRY IT. If anything, it is quite fun to not have to wait for posts.

Also, exploration. It takes effort for the one making the dream but one thing I liked with NK was the fact that I don't think I ever managed to see every part of it. Some would consider that wasted effort but I liked the idea of not having explored everything. Being summoned somewhere for RP and going "Whoa wait what? Where the heck is this?" is a nice experience. Adding new areas and just leaving a vague hint about it would keep it interesting too. But this is all depending on the effort you're willing to put in.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 11:54 am

The dream is taking up the full possible map size at the moment. The only way to make it larger would be to buy a dream package (which would be awesome if I didn't have to usually pay for it all like I did NK's... it's priced to be paid for by a group anyway XD). But I hope there will be enough to keep people interested. The mines are particularly extensive. :3
Back to top Go down
Räven
Vulpes Vulpes
Räven

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 11:58 am

Fabulous! If, or being more of an optimist, when I get a job I wouldn't mind helping to pay for a dream package at all.
Back to top Go down
Heimdall
Hornbearer
Heimdall

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Awesome! I'm building the dream so that it'll work whether or not we have one, y'know? So we can expand or contract later and not chop any rooms in half. I think that's safest. :3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Skuldhellir!   Hello, Skuldhellir! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello, Skuldhellir!
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next