Skuldhellir
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forums for the Furcadia roleplaying guild.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rystall Humlee

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kaedwuff
Stone Sober
Kaedwuff

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 3:24 pm

General:
E-mail (OPTIONAL):

Alt Name: Rystall Humlee

A brief description of your character: Picture ees worth thousand words. He eats gems and rocks, turns to stone in the day. Whee.

Also, for your entertainment: https://2img.net/h/oi56.tinypic.com/2pzjhjs.jpg

Why/How is your character in Skuldhellir: He dug through the rock and earth. :D Thar be gems and yummy metals about. Sorry I'll work on something better I guess >.>;

Magic:
---Max Preps (1-10): 10

---Schools:
Terramancy: 6 (As he is an elemental I'm am going to hazard that he can go a little farther than a mortal could when using his domain of magic. Will fix if asked.)
Being strongly of earth elemental descent, manipulating stone and earth is natural to Rystall.

Gemmamancy: 3
A specialized subclass of terramancy involving the growth and manipulation of minerals and gems. (He cultivates his own food!)

Strengths:
---Natural:
Large Size: Rystall is upwards of 12 feet tall, giving him a variety of physical advantages over the smaller folk
Great Strength: Going in hand with his large size, Rystall is fairly, but not supernaturally, strong. He could probably pick up a wagon, but he cannot throw around boulders with ease.

---Learned:
Negligible.

---Supernatural:
Diamond Teeth: Not really a literal term, but as Rystall's primary diet is minerals and metals, his teeth are supernaturally hard and can break through all but strongly enchanted items.
Rock Scents: Rystall's nose is capable of smelling and distinguishing a variety of scents that non-elemental creatures cannot, such as quartz or gold. This is magical in nature, but relies on actual smells in the air to a small extent.
Native Elemental: As a result of his heritage, whatever it might be, Rystall is an earth elemental whose natural plane is this one. He cannot be banished or dismissed like other outsiders and elementals.
Rejuvenation: Though Rystall is flesh and bone during the night and can be injured like any other creature, after his Daylight Slumber he awakes with all wounds healed, barring amputations, which require time or special effort to fix.
Timelessness: Rystall's elemental nature, particularly the fact that he is aligned to a stable element, means he is fairly unchanging. He does not age and has a very long lifespan.

Weaknesses:
Daylight Slumber: At the first light of daybreak, Rystall becomes an inanimate statue with no awareness of his surroundings, until sunset. This change is involuntary and nigh-instantaneous, but if he has exerted himself beyond exhaustion the previous night somehow there is a chance he will not wake until the following night or beyond.
Earth-Attuned Elemental: As an earth elemental, Rystall is subject to all effects that would target earth-aligned creatures, be they bindings or smitings or commands.
Magic Beast: Rystall is a highly magical creature, and is dependent on it to be alive. If he is exposed to an area containing anti-magic fields or a dead magic zone, he goes blind immediately (his eyes are technically gemstones) and quickly looses strength, going unconscious within several minutes and reverting to a statue after about an hour. If he does not escape or is not removed before about twelve hours, he perishes and becomes a non-magical statue permanently (barring some sort of magical intervention capable of restoring him).
Magus Distrust: Rystall picked up the peculiar idea somewhere that all wizards are inevitably trying to either take over the world or blow it up. He has little trust for them and is wary around areas that contain large numbers.
Spooky Sigils: Between his somewhat monstrous size and appearance and the multicolored markings he has along his body, some have mistaken him for a demon and given him the friendliness due to such creatures. Cue the torches and pitchforks!
Structural Density: Rystall is fairly heavy and dense in structure, even when he is not in statue form. He is thus incabable of swimming or performing a variety of other actions that would require floatation. He sinks like a rock.
Gem Eater: As Rystall eats minerals and metals, particularly favoring precious varieties, he tends to attract the ire of people who wish to keep their gems and gold to themselves. Rystall has difficulty understanding why what is simply food to him is hoarded and never eaten or used. This is somewhat migitated by his ability to grow mineral clusters from a 'seed' (smaller gem) but it is unlikely many will really be happy about him munching on their valuables.
Tectonic Disposition: Rystall's emotions are often close to flat and neutral and slow to change, and it takes considerable effort or prestering to rouse him from his daily routine or to bring him to strong emotions such as rage or joy.
Gender Blank: Rystall possesses no gender or related organs, and has a difficult time understanding anything related to them, such as romance or flirting.
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 12:12 pm

Oh lord I am so sorry it took me so long to get to this. x_x

Let's take a look, then!

STRENGTHS
1. Magic: 12
2. Large size: 1
3. Great strength: 2

4. Diamond teeth: 4
5. Rock scents: 1
6. Native elemental: 0
7. Rejuvenation: 5
8. Timelessness: 1

WEAKNESSES
1. Daylight slumber: 2
2. Earth-attuned: 0
3. Magic beast: 4
4. Magus distrust: 0
5. Spooky sigils: 1
6. Gem eater: 2
8. Tectonic disposition: 1
9. Gender blank: 0

Strengths Total: 26
Weaknesses Total: 10

That's a preeeetty considerable number gap, oh noes! If you're at a loss for what to do to fix it, I'd recommend maybe bringing his max preps down a little, because having them at 10 alone added that much to your strengths score.
Back to top Go down
Kaedwuff
Stone Sober
Kaedwuff

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Personally I'm a little surprised Earth Attuned got a 0 here, along with Native Elemental. That seems like kind of a significant weakness, maybe a 2 or 3, and the other perhaps a 1 or 2 strength.

I think Magic Beast should be a 5 myself, but I guess not everyone would agree there.

Same with Daylight Slumber. He's effectively helpless for about half of every day (depending on season), but you give it a 2? ._.

Lesse... considering there is a mage guild in Skuldhellir I would think the Magus Distrust and to a lesser extent Spooky Sigils would at least warrant a blip. I was under the impression that the scores were at least partly based on how it could affect the setting.

Maybe I should have compressed the Size and Strength thing into one stat, I get the feeling it might be confusing the issue. It was intended to mean that as a giant wolf thing he's stronger than a wolf thing that is normal sized, just due to proportion. Would that still equal out to 3 if I made that more clear?

After you consider that stuff maybe I can look into lowering the max prep thing. I kind of wanted that at 10, but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Kinzor
Slightly Tipsy
Kinzor

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 6:23 am

I like'em. If he can be destroyed during the time he is a statue I'd say that weakness would be a liiiittle bit higher Ed. This -is- a no consent continuum, and it's probably not that hard to go around and buy a mallet and just whack at it. That would be something Kaed here needs to elaborate on, especially since he rejuvenates in his sleep and you marked him extremely dense (Which may be why Ed marked it weaker).

As for the diamond teeth, what about things that supernaturally or abnormally dense, rather then things you'd just think generally hard. Would he have to chew them a few times, or can he just bite straight through creatures with extremely dense muscles and bone structure. Say ogres, or large animal furres.

To be fair about the magic guild, Kaed, the NPCs outside the magic guild don't like 'fingerwigglers' either. 80% or so I'd say. They also hate elves. So to be really wary of magic isn't abnormal of Skuldhellirians and wouldn't affect the continuum to much. If he had the same extremity FEAR of all magic that Qualme does, it might be different.

I do think Earth-Attuned could be a bit higher, or at least one, considerring what he listed is basically exactly what almost all elementals are effected by.

He is a considerably powerful character though, considerring he's a giant, and an elemental, but I have no qualmes with him so long as a few issues are worked out, though you seem- by the way you address things- pretty reliable so far 8D.

Last edited by Kinzor on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kaedwuff
Stone Sober
Kaedwuff

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:16 am

Alright, I understand the mage guild thing. Actually, I remember reading about that in the setting information. I guess it conveniently slipped my mind while I was slightly baffled at the score I got. xD I'm not sure I can say he's afraid of magic entirely, he just doesn't like wizards. So, fair enough.

The density issue was put there solely to point out that he basically cannot survive in water deeper than his head, because it is impossible for him to float. He doesn't have any particular extra toughness due to it.

On Diamond Teeth, it's not really that he just chomps down on anything and it his teeth shear right tough it like cotton candy. He usually has to chew the minerals and metals he eats (more so with metals) before they are in small enough chunks to swallow. He does not actually have saliva, though I'm kind of straying from the point sorry.

If something is supernaturally tough or even naturally, then yes it would take some effort and probably some continued effort. I tend to think of things a lot in D&D statistics, so if it helps I consider his teeth to qualify as about a +2 enhancement bonus (+2 Chompers of Nomminess~). Thus magic items or creatures with moderate or powerful magic or toughness still can't be penetrated by his teeth.

Hope that helps explain more for a reconsideration. Still hoping I can get away with the 10 preps but it's looking less likely xD
Back to top Go down
Kinzor
Slightly Tipsy
Kinzor

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 12:49 pm

I could go with the teeth thing being taken to to three. And the statue would be a bit of a bigger deal, I guess. I can agree with that. But even if he does change those, I'm not so sure the numbers owuld add up. Does he have any more unappealing or extremities you forgot for wakenesses? Or perhaps personality weaknesses? I mean, to be fair, he's still a powerful character. He's by no means overpowered, and we have to consider every situation. If the general character was to piss off a 12 foot creature, let alone an elemental creature (no matter how friendly by nature or in control of it's anger in general), they could die.
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 7:28 pm

Earth-Attuned is rated the way it is because most of the things that would specifically target elementals would probably be relevant to banishing them or dismissing them from this plane, and so I reasoned that this and the Native Elemental strength would essentially cancel each other out. If you REALLY want, I could give you a single point for it. :B

Yes, size and strength would still equal 3! It's possible to have large characters that are weak, or strong characters that are small, like our very own dwarves. When people clump things like this together, we still consider them individually, even if we list only one score for both, so putting them together won't change much.

Concerning the daylight slumber, have either of you ever tried smashing a stone statue with a mallet? ;P It's not as easy as it seems. Additionally, Rystall is apparently very dense. Short of hefting the 12-foot tall, heavy-as-hell stone statue and throwing it off a cliff (which would kill anyone anyway), I don't think it would be very easy to destroy him in his gargoyle state. Also, he can heal himself, INCLUDING amputations, I gather, though they take more effort--so even if someone manages to break off an arm or his tail or something, it's not as big of a deal as it would be if a normal flesh-and-blood furre or human had lost a limb. Finally, the slumber is also a bit of a strength, because it heals him of everything else, and that alone would prevent it from ever being a 5-point weakness.

Magic Beast was rated the way it was because Skuldhellir is in an area teeming with natural magic. It's unlikely that Rystall will ever encounter an anti-magic zone lasting for more than a few minutes, and if he did it would have had to be cast specifically by a spellcaster, whom he already avoids and distrusts.

I hope that clears some of my reasoning up! C:
Back to top Go down
Kaedwuff
Stone Sober
Kaedwuff

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 8:57 am

Your reasoning is pretty sound in most parts, and sure I guess it wouldn't hurt to have at least one point in Earth-Attuned. I'd advise you not to pay too much attention to the dense thing, but you guys keep doing it xD Ah well.

However, on the matter of the statue I must object! This is a town full of dwarves by all accounts, and if anyone can break down a statue with ease it's those tunneling midgets. Furthermore, being someone who eats gemstones and precious metals as his primary diet, I think the normally somewhat possessive dwarves might actually be motivated to remove him.

The problem is though, that it seems the only way his weaknesses and strengths are ever going to get close enough to each other are if his magic ability is severely crippled, since you seem pretty sure about your given ratings. I don't know how much I'd have to reduce it, since I'm not really sure how you guys score magic in the first place.

It's not really that I'm opposed to lowering his magic score, since I set it at 10 in the first place mainly cause I thought that would be cool >.>; I don't think he's ever worked any earth shattering magic before, though maybe some earth shaking. Hurr hurr. Anyway, he probably wouldn't have need to either. That would be kind of on the scale of an epic smiting because someone managed to really piss him off... but an earthquake would probably be on a lesser scale and be just as effective anyway.

If I brought max down to 6-7 would that help much?
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 8:40 am

I apologize for the wait, bro! Now that college is out of the way, let's look this over again.

Your main problem is the magic, yes. It's at 12 points alone, while the rest of Rystall's strengths would tally up to only 14, which is perfectly fine vs his 10-point weakness score. Lowering the max prep count would be very good, I think! If you're confused about how we score magic, we basically add the number of schools your character specializes in to the number of preps they can use maximum (we don't count the preps invested in the schools), and if your max is 10, this is usually a pretty big number.

I'll grant you that it's true that he'd probably be angryfaced at excessively due to his shiny-eating habits. I'll bump that weakness up to 3 points. :V

So if you take magic down about 4 points, your strength score would be 22, and weaknesses would be moved up to 11 with the extra point. :< That's still 6 points to make up, but at least that isn't as bad!
Back to top Go down
Lauren
Fuzzbutt
Lauren

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 6:53 pm

**UPDATE** I whispered Rystall today about whether he's still interested in joining, and hopefully we will hear back from him soon about his app.
Back to top Go down
Kaedwuff
Stone Sober
Kaedwuff

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm not really sure where to go from here. I'd like to introduce my character into the setting but honestly your rating system seems to inherently alienate Rystall.

Short of redesigning the character which I really don't feel like doing, there is probably no way he is likely to work in Skulldhellir - your way of judging a character's plausibility is entirely too concrete. A point based system is not only arbitrary - no matter how fair you may feel you are being, or may even be, it is still based on whimsy and opinion how many points a strength or weakness will be - but the only way to get around it for me at this point is to mysteriously remove traits from Rystall, dull down his magic to near uselessness, or add random weaknesses just for the purpose of the dream's participation. And even then, fully a third of the ones I conjured up that fit the characters aspect received no rating, the rest being fairly inconsequential.

I don't mean to sound like I'm raging at you all, because really this isn't my dream to run and I don't want to try and tell you your business. But in all seriousness, I'm starting to wonder if Rystall will fit in here. He is a character that fits in well to a high-magic setting, and while I thought at first that Skulldhellir was such a place, simply possessing magic above parlor tricks generates massive amounts of 'strength' scores to put against your tab. Perhaps you fear a maddened magical character running amok in the town, blasting down buildings and tossing around civilians. I am not entirely sure why a town with a mage guild would have no way to counteract such a thing, because it seems more logical to me to worry more about a character setting itself up to be invulnerable (of which Rystall most certainly is not) than everyone making characters as perfectly balanced as possible.

That said, in the other dream I was accepted into last month, I did have to make some changes to the character as far as 'nerfs', and it is possible that with those he may have become acceptable here. I will submit that sheet for consideration and let you decide if it will also fit into Skulldeherllir. It does not fit the 'strength/weakness' format you prefer here, but I'm sure you can extract information from it nonetheless.

Physical Stats
Full Name: Rystall (there is a Humlee in the username but that's from a much older rendition of the character. He has no surname.)
Race: Earth demielemental gargoyle wolf... thingie
Apparent Age: Indeterminate, he's 12 feet tall and genderless.
Actual Age: Several centuries.
Height: 13' 5"
Weight: ~1500lb (around a ton)
Hair Color: None (red on top of head)
Eye Color: Amethyst (literally :D)
Natural (physical) Weapons: Large size, strength, teeth.
Natural (physical) Armor: Thick fur, dense composition.

Ref: http://wolfoyle.webs.com/photos/-Rystall-Art/Kaedwuff_Ref_Fullres-1.jpg

Other Forms
Form: Statue.
Reason or Cause of Transformation: Daytime.
Height: Same as normal.
Weight: Little heavier than normal.
Bite PSI: N/A
Other Natural Weapons: None, helpless.

Weaponry and Arms
None.

Preternatural (or magical) Abilities
Supernaturally Hard Teeth: Rystall's diet consists of rocks and minerals, and thus his teeth are capable of crushing nearly any object save objects that are harder than diamond or that are powerfully enchanted.

Rock Scents: Rystall's sense of smell is magically attuned to his element, allowing him to smell things like metals and gems that normal mortals would normally not even register, and it is sensitive enough to differentiate between varieties and their purity.

Native Elemental: Rystall was born or created on the material plane, and as such is unable to be banished by effects that return beings to their home plane - this is his home plane. However, he is still an elemental in most senses of the word, and is thus vulnerable to any other effect that can target earth elementals, such as bindings, specific kinds of aeromancy, or wards directed at barring elementals.

Daylight Slumber: At sunrise Rystall solidifies into rock for the duration, which lasts until the sun sets again. This change is involuntary and instantaneous, cutting off whatever task (or sentence!) he had been involved in when daybreak came. This effect takes place when the sun actually crests over the horizon, not at first light, so he has some warning, but actual sunlight does not need to touch him for this to take place (i.e. he cannot hide underground or inside a windowless room). During the duration he is unable to defend himself or react to his surroundings, and in fact loses all consciousness. All wounds received prior to the Slumber are healed after he wakes up again, including amputations if he attached enough extra rock to his body before sleeping. 1 day for minor wounds, two for serious wounds, 4 for mortal-quality wounds, and a week for lost limbs

Slumber Absorption: Anything within Rystall's stomach when he solidifies at daybreak is absorbed into his new stony form, be it rock, metal, or organic mass. Objects absorbed this way are are lost forever as they are broken down into their component elements and only show up in trace amounts in the shell he shakes off when he awakens at night. Organic objects are unhealthy for him, however, and he will become ill if he has consumed any before succumbing to slumber. Powerfully enchanted objects are immune to this effect and effectively indigestible by Rystall unless he leaves them inside for several weeks to break down the magic in them.

Magical Anatomy: Rystall is a heavily magical creature, surviving more on his innate magic to the earth than actual biological functions. His anatomy thus is minimalist - he has a stomach, skeleton, muscles and tendons, nervous system and brain, heart and veins (though his blood is thick and clear unless colored by traces of what he has recently eaten). He possesses something like small lungs located at the base of his neck, but they serve the function of allowing him speech and smell instead of breathing as he does not require air to survive. He lacks a reproductive system or any complex digestive system such as intestines, salivary glands, spleen, or liver, and most of his torso is occupied by his stomach. He produces no bodily waste save the shell that breaks off when he wakes up at sunset, and in fact possesses no orifices save those on his head. His eyes are themselves actually gemstones similar to amethysts in coloration, but allow him perfectly good vision nonetheless.

Rystall cannot survive without magic due to this, however. Exposure to an area containing an effect that nullifies or suppresses magic (such as an antimagic field or dead magic zone) causes him immediate blindness and slow weakening and then death over the next ten to fifteen minutes if he does not escape. If killed in this way he reverts to rock as if through his Daylight Slumber trait, but does not wake up again.

Natural Terramancy: Manipulation of natural earth, rock, and metal.
-Earthswim [3 Prep] Rystall can sink into solid terrain as if it were mud, and once submerged can move through it like water. No trail is left by his passing and he can reach fairly high speeds, but accelerates slowly. This ability is nullified by masonry or organic barriers (such as wood) - Rystall cannot move through constructed materials.
-Tremor [1 Prep] By focusing and striking the ground with a fist or foot, Rystall can cause a small localized shockwave (roughly 20 feet around) through the terrain. Unattended objects can be knocked over and unprepared or less agile people caught in the tremor may be put off balance or knocked down. Cannot affect things not touching the ground or terrain that is constructed or organic.
-Shape Earth [1-5 Preps (+1 for metals)] Rystall can focus his will through a body of stone, earth, or metal and shape it as he wishes. The transformation is instantaneous from one form to the next. Rapidly shifting the substance around, such as to create something along the lines of a spiral of liquid rock, is not possible. A new usage of this ability must be started to change the material's shape again. Affects 20 pounds of earth or rock per prep, or 5 pounds per prep (after the first) for metals.
-Rock Prison [4 Preps] This ability brings up rock around the target from all sides to wrap around them and imprison them in and airtight lump of stone. Can only be used on a disabled or otherwise immobilized subject, as the preps are not how long it takes to begin the spell, but how long it takes for it to encircle them in the prison. There is no room to move or breathe in the completed prison unless the prison is broken or Rystall specifies it to not cover their head instead.
-Long Slumber [4 Preps for willing, 2 for Rock Prison] This particular ability can only be performed on a subject who is trapped within a Rock Prison, or who is willing. This magic induces a sleep similar to the kind Rystall himself goes through every time daybreak comes - the subject turns to rock and loses all consciousness for the duration, but does not age or accrue any other kind of biological deterioration. Additionally, once freed the subject is healed of all wounds like Rystall after his own slumber. The duration is until the next sunset (for willing subjects) or until released (for subjects within a Stone Prison). Healing rate is the same as Rystall's natural one described in Daylight Slumber.
-Earthquake [9-12 Preps] This is a fairly self-explanatory ability. Rystall hunkers down in place and pulses his will through the ground to coax awake its fury in a large area of several miles. Due to the stubborn nature of his native element, he is unable to take any actions while he is performing this ability, as stopping causes the earth to swiftly settle back down to how it had been before and force him to start over. The first weak pulsing tremors are noticeable to people nearby by 2 preps (compare to his Tremor ability), and by 4 preps the tremor effect has spread through the entire area of affect. When the earthquake is completed Rystall may also spend up to 3 more preps holding it back to build up its power more. When released the ground affected heaves and shudders into a powerful earthquake of a magnitude based on how long Rystall built it up. Using the Richter scale the rough magnitude would be 5.0 (9 preps) 6.0 (10 preps) 7.0 (11 preps) 8.5 (12 preps).

Natural Gemmamancy: Manipulation of gems, minerals and crystalline objects.
Create Gem Seed [3 Preps] Rystall can take a chunk of gem or mineral and infuse it with a kind of life, creating a gem seed. Nothing special can be done with this new object in and of itself, however. Only five of these may be created a day, and their magic fades after about a day unless something is done with them.
Grow Gem [2 Preps, 1 Gem Seed] By planting the gem seed into a mass of solid rock, Rystall can create a special formation of self-growing gem or crystal. The gem seed blooms into a large crystalline formation over the next few days. The gem seed is consumed in the process, but part of the resulting formation can be used to create a new seed. The quality and purity of the gemstones grown varies based on the minerals available within the rock used as 'soil' for the gem seed. These crystals are what Rystall eats, and this is more a manner of cultivating food for him than growing free wealth. Do not steal his food. >:|
Force Growth [3 Preps, 3 Gem Seeds] This is a special usage of Grow Gem that consumes a larger amount of Gem Seeds to instantaneously grow a formation twice the normal size of the normal Grow Gem ability, but at a much lower quality and purity than would normally result. This is a kind of emergency ration ability for Rystall, though it does not make very tasty gems. ): This is a very volatile ability and nearby objects or creatures touching the surface of the exploding crystal formation can be caught up and partially crystallized themselves. Stand back or you'll lose an arm!
Shatter [1 Prep, 2 Gem Seeds] Using this ability involves crushing two Gem Seeds together to create a magical resonance within a 30-foot area that shatters all crystalline objects (including glass) into fragments depending on their distance from the blast. Affected objects within five feet are reduced to powder, whereas ones at the very outer edge are simply cracked.
Crystallize [5 preps, 1 Gem Seed] Rystall's only directly offensive ability within this category of magic, this involves charging up a gem seed then forcibly implanting it into an organic subject, causing a rapid crystallization of the subjects mass over the period of two more preps unless stopped somehow. This ability does not directly kill the target, instead forcing them into a kind of permanent sleep like his Long Slumber ability save that he cannot dismiss it and no healing results from the process. However, it is obviously lethal when combined with the Shatter ability.

Combination Magic: This is where abilities that use both classes of Rystall's magic together somehow go.
Grow Metal [6 Preps, 1 pound of pure metal] The hybridization of Terramancy and Gemmamancy can allow Rystall to reproduce metals by growing them in a similar way to how he can grow Gems. The process is much slower than his creation of gem formations, and actually grows inward to the rock it is implanted rather than outward, creating a vein of metal. This must be done in a large mass of rock such as a mountain or a cave, or there will not be enough surrounding rock from which to draw the raw metals together from (about 100 tons of solid rock is required per vein). The mass of metal doubles in size over two weeks, then doubles again two weeks later before slowing to to grow by one pound every two weeks afterwards. The process stops after four months, leaving the mass roughly ten times its original size within the new vein. This ability can replicate any kind of metal, but if the metal is enchanted or magical in nature, that aspect is not duplicated and may be diluted in the resulting product instead.

Sample Post:
Rystall Humlee had been lurking around beneath the ground for most of the night so far, looking for a good rock to use as seeding ground for his new batch of gems. Believe it or not, some were better than others. It was a careful and precise balace of elements within the stone. Finally he had sniffed one out, coming up under it. Regurgitating the gem seeds had been storing, he slid them easily into the bottom of the large boulder, pulling together the transformative magic. The boulder rumbled and shook somewhat, then after a brief period rapid began sproting up thin spikes of pinkish crystal with loud cracks. It was an ideal host boulder! Of course, in the unlikely event that anything had been still sitting on top, they would probably have been pierced a few places - but it wouldn't hurt very much! Just some harmless localized crystalization in the stabbed areas, nothing to worry about.

What is your past RP experience?
Since about 2005.

How often do you plan on being in the dream?
Often I guess? xD

Anything else we should know?
Surrender your gems. >:|
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Well, here's the thing. Different dreams have different environments as decided by the kinds of players they attract! I'm sure you know this very well. Skuldhellir is full of (mostly) normal people. Most of the characters here are a boring race, humanoid or furre, with no inherent magical powers. I think I can count the number of weird races with extreme powers, like demons, that we have here on one hand. A good portion of these characters don't even have any non-racial magic at all; the ones that do make up for the huge advantage of magic in other ways--they are physically flimsy or otherwise largely lacking in some area that would apply in a combat situation. This is what we want most of our characters to be like, and that is why the point system is set up the way it is. It is not really made to accommodate extremely over-the-top, fantastical characters like the ones you might find in places like Urraim.

Why is this? Well, it's very simply because we are a non-consent dream. When we ask for rebalancing, it's not because we don't like your character, don't think he would be a good addition to the dream, or don't want him here. It's because we have to keep our current members in mind. The Rystall sheet that's up right now is turning up a character that would be difficult to subdue, defeat or restrain in a combat situation, and one that cannot be injured permanently, while the other characters in the continuity can, and if they are, they don't get their lost arm or finger or whatever back unless there is a huge amount of healing magic invested in them--something the continuity cannot currently do based on the playerbase (we have no super-powerful healing characters).

It's true, if provoked to do so, the Wizards Guild probably could do something to stop Rystall if it came to that, but reliance on NPCs for balance is sketchy, because it strongly depends on whether or not there is anyone to play them at the Time.

While Rystall is an excellent character that I love from what I saw of him in Northkeep, and one who would definitely fit very well into a number of dreams, I don't know how to accept him here as-is without being vastly unfair to everyone else who is playing a less powerful character that wouldn't so much as stand a chance against him if a combat situation were ever to arise--and believe me, here, they happen, no matter how good you are at avoiding them!

I guess that, at this point, the only things I can think of are either a zone nerf (i.e. the magicite in the mines is overpoweringly oppressive and weakens his magic a little so he's more on par with other magic-users) or some sort of elemental pact that makes it so he cannot harm living things beyond a certain point. These wouldn't fundamentally change the character, they would be outside effects working on him and scaling his abilities down without completely ruining them. I would also be willing to let him keep his magic if, say, his overnight regeneration couldn't occur while too close to the magicite mines, or if magicite is somehow a weakness to him. This could even be a plot point for him, because magicite is a mineral, and if it's affecting him adversely, he might be particularly interested in it. (What if he ate some? Oh no!)
Back to top Go down
Kaedwuff
Stone Sober
Kaedwuff

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 10:13 am

Ooh, not too keen on the pact thing, but the majicite thingiebopper sounds like it could be interesting. Was it the same stuff as back in northkeep? Cause I remember an rp where he tried growing some of it and it went crazy :3

Also, elaborate a bit on what it is?

Also loool, did you capitalize 'Time' on purpose? Silly chronomancer.
Back to top Go down
Edward
Wizamaturr
Edward

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Magicite is not at all like anything back at Northkeep! It is a mineral that is completely unique to the Skuldhellir mines, and let's just say that it does some strange things. It comes in three forms--crystal, ore and liquid--but it seems to be mostly the same across the board in terms of properties. Its primary effects seem to regard magic, which is where it got its name. It is a light but very sturdy material, and a lot of nobles have crafted weapons out of it as symbols of status and wealth.

There is something sinister about magicite, though, chaotic and unpredictable. Nobody knows the details yet, though--that's for the players to go find out!

(Also, yes, I did capitalize my T. It's a habit, do forgive!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rystall Humlee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rystall Humlee   Rystall Humlee Empty

Back to top Go down

Rystall Humlee
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skuldhellir :: Characters :: Applications-
Jump to: